Tuesday, December 20, 2022

 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week #51 theme is  "Perseverance". 

My siblings and cousins can tell you that one of my genealogy traits is "Perseverance".  In fact I think I've been accused of being like a "dog on a bone".  When we first began our ancestral search in the 1970s, all I had to go on were family rumors and a few names and dates in a sketchy tree. This was before internet, and grandparents were gone, so my research began in libraries... checking out old family and county histories and viewing microfilms and microfiches. I also, wrote lots of letters and discovered that you had to send SASEs to get replies.  Gerry's grandpa printed a little family history booklet which was a great start. He even "commissioned" Gerry to carry on his work, which we did, once we moved from Oklahoma to Georgia.  I bought the "Handybook for Genealogists" to study the formation of counties, and a huge fold out pedigree chart which could go on and on into the past generations.  So proud when I could conquer one more generation or branch.  

Over the years, and with the help of siblings and cousins, and the internet, we have gone a long way with our discoveries.   We have traveled to the locations where these ancestors lived, some as far back as the 1600s. And best of all, we met online and in person, many cousins we never knew of, and have been able as a group to collect photos, letters, and stories.   

There are still new discoveries to be made, but we will do it... with Perseverance .

No comments:

Post a Comment