Tuesday, March 7, 2023

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Week #10 Theme - Translation.

This subject had me stumped. I wasn't going to post as I haven't had any research that needed to be translated. So far, all our ancestors have been in English speaking countries. Then I realized... If it hadn't been for a translation, our family tree would have been very different. 6th Gt Grandfather, John Griffin, hailed from Wales before arriving in the colonies in about 1635. There is a possibility that John's ancestors' Welsh name was Pengruffwnd. I'm unable to find proof of this, or any proof of the timeline when John's name became Griffin. But I'm very happy that it was changed. And I'm sure that all the young men among his descendants, who carry Griffin as their first name today, would be very happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment